22 February 2013

The Confessions of a Bibliophile – The Importance of Being Earnest

As mentioned here, I love the sharp wit of Oscar Wilde. This week I have read The Importance of Being Earnest and had some good laughs on the train, and as the weekend is nigh I thought I should share some with you. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Pic from Pinterest
 First Act, a discussion between Jack and Lady Bracknell following Jack's proposal to Lady Bracknell's daughter:

- Do you smoke?
- Well, yes, I must admit I smoke.
- I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind. There are far too many idle men in London as it is. How old are you?
- Twenty-nine.
- A very good age to be married at. I have always been of opinion that a man who desires to get married should know either everything or nothing. Which do you know?
- I know nothing, lady Bracknell.
- I am pleased to hear it. I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square.

My favourite, however, is Algernon, who in my mind sounds like I imagine Oscar Wilde did:
 
- All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.

- The only way to behave to a women is to make love to her, if she is pretty, and to someone else, if she is plain.

and the best comment:
- If I am occasionally a little over-dressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.


Have a great weekend!
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin